Sunday, October 1, 2017

It (2017) Review (Spoiler-Free)


Before I begin, I'd just like to say one thing: This movie is pretty damn good. At least, it's way better than the 1990 miniseries with Tim Curry. If you'd like to know why, let me tell you all about it.

Right off the bat, I'd like to praise the movie for how well-written and well-directed it is. I've seen so many horror movies with uninteresting camera techniques and forgettable dialogue/characters that I nearly gave up on watching new ones. However, this isn't the case for It.

To give credit where it's due, Stephen King's book is a phenomenal example of how fear can get the better of people, and how friendship can combat it. I feel that it really helps that this was based off a book and a previous attempt.

The 1990 miniseries is plagued with a somewhat non-scary tone and villain, but the movie had me on the edge of my seat. Even the jump-scares, which are a sad, reoccurring theme in modern horror movies, are creative. Thankfully, the villain is a shape-shifting clown. Creativity is something you need if you're a shape-shifting clown that feeds off of fear.  

Speaking of the villain, holy crap. Bill Skarsgard does a way better job at playing Pennywise than Tim Curry. The way his eyes move, the way he smiles, and the way he drools when looking at the children makes him very uncomfortable to look at for any length of time. Now, don't get me wrong, Tim Curry is a phenomenal actor. I just don't think I can take his depiction of Pennywise seriously.


Overall, I'd like to give this movie a 8.5/10. It's a perfect example of how an adaptation and a remake should be done.

My final thought: Is it just me, or are child actors way better than they were 10-15 years ago? 

No comments:

Post a Comment