Saturday, December 1, 2018

December 2018 Opener: I Hate Styrofoam



I hate Styrofoam. It is a plague upon humankind and must be stopped. I have my reasons. I'm not crazy. You think I'm crazy, don't you? I have a list of reasons, folks. Styrofoam is evil. And here's the worst thing: Most of it can be found around Christmas, and that's awful.

Used for insulation and packaging, Styrofoam was created in 1947 and we've never looked back on it. The Styrofoam brand polystyrene foam, which is used for craft applications, can be identified by its roughness and the disgusting "crunch" it makes when cut.

However, the crunch is the least worst thing about Styrofoam. The next worst thing is how it feels. Rough, and if a little speck gets on you, it won't just come off. Even if you try and brush it off, it's a crapshoot. Even if you do brush it off, it sticks to your hand. Fun.

Buy that's not the worst part, in fact, it's far from the worst part. Styrofoam is a possible carcinogenic substance. Wheels for Wishes has an entire list of bad crap that Styrofoam is responsible for. It's made from nonrenewable substances, it takes forever to degrade into nothing, and all of it ends up in the ocean. Eventually, that's what's going to turn the ocean into a giant plastic soup. 

And that's why I don't like Styrofoam. 

This isn't some first world problem or me complaining. The fact that Styrofoam is annoying is the least of my worries. It is legitimately harmful to the planet, and if we don't get rid of it, fish and sea turtles are going to literally choke and die swimming in it. 

Hope you think about this during the holidays. Thanks! 

(I smile and offer no solution.)

No comments:

Post a Comment