Monday, October 10, 2016

My Trip to the Trail of Terror, AKA: How to Mess With Spooky People, Part 2

So, the rest of the night, I decided to take part in the "Scare Houses" or scary mazes, as they're known. Usually, it's the same schtick or set of schticks. A clown house, an asylum, sometimes both at the same time. The spooky people pop out of the darkness, and the spookiness ensues.

Now, I actually like going through spook houses. No, it's not just because I enjoy a good scare, it's because it's fun to mess with the actors. Keep in mind, if you work in one of these places, I have only one thing to say. You and the folks you work with make Halloween a bit more special, like the old man who dresses up as Santa Claus. It wouldn't be the same without you. Keep on being spooky. That being said, here's a few personal tips I've developed on how to have more fun at these spooky houses.

WORD OF WARNING: You're not allowed to touch the actors. People have tried, people have been kicked out. They don't touch you, and you don't touch them. It's like a gentleman's club, only the people who work there are wearing a lot more makeup. How I go about doing this involves playing by the rules of the creepy clowns and the masked murderers.

Tip #1: Expect the Unexpected
People will come out of the walls, lights will flash, and your senses will betray you. Even if it seems like it's over, it isn't. It might not be.

Tip #2: Watch For Corners
Like any lame-ass horror movie or video game, they'll be around the corners. Watch for the corners, and you'll be fine. Just pretend you're in a video game. Because as we all know, people love to emulate violent video games!

Tip #3: Mess Back
If you're in there just to get scared, I have no problems with that. However, you have a bit of friendly fun with the performers by scaring them back. If one of them goes up to you and tries to mess with you, you mess with them back. If you can't think of anything clever to say, just yell something completely absurd. Anything. Seriously, the more mundane, the better.

Well, I can tell I'm gonna have it in for me next year at Trail of Terror. Either that, or I might have just ruined the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment