Saturday, October 1, 2016

Happy October, AKA, And Now the Screaming Starts

Quite literally, and also the title of a movie that I haven't heard friggin' ANYONE ever talk about. I saw it once on a Friday night when I was in the 9th grade. I had... Very little hobbies. Like, whenever I had to answer "What are your hobbies?" on any "Group get-together" shtick,  I just answered "I just doodle sometimes. Also, mostly TV.". I watched a lot of TV. This was before the internet took over my life. Like, in both the good and bad ways.


Quite, indeed.

To be honest, the plot isn't much to talk about. (Spoiler alert for a movie made in 1973!) Based on the novel Fengriffen, this spooky movie takes place in the creepiest country imaginable, England! Seriously, how is it that every creepy character (That I can currently think of, I'm just that scared) is of the Anglo persuasion? It's like the Asian persuasion, but... For the English. 

What was I talking about? Oh yeah, the plot. There's not much too it. In 1795, newlyweds Catherine and Charles Fengriffen move into Charles' stately mansion. Catherine, being subject to "In-a-70s-horror-flick-itis" falls victim to a curse placed by a wronged servant on the Fengriffen family and its descendants. Holy copy and paste, Batman. 

Why I can remember this movie, when my collective being has been polluted with so many other bad movies, is beyond me. Quite beyond me. Come to think of it, there's nothing really special about it. I guess the only reason I kept on watching was because Peter Cushing was in it. Who's Peter Cushing, you ask?


Isn't he a dreamboat?

You might remember Peter Cushing as Grand Moff Tarkin from Star Wars. You know, that complete jerk who said something to the effect of "Well, the rebels aren't here. Let's blow up this place anyway and see a princess cry".


I can't tell who's creepier. The asthmatic magic cyborg, or the geriatric Englishman.

The media had pretty much the same reaction to And Now the Screaming Starts, with a loud collective "Meh", This is why I can assume that this movie isn't that well-known. There is little to nothing special about it, other than Peter Cushing. And the fact that it was based on a book. But that's not that special. Peter Cushing is more special than a book. That's like, one of the laws of physics, I think. 

To me, a horror movie either has to be completely awful and goofy, or in rarer cases, scary, to be truly memorable. Aside from some close-ups of a man without his eyes, there's nothing scary or goofy about And Now the Screaming Starts. It is neither good, nor is it bad. It's just... Unmemorable. I guess we'll have to wait until Monday for the screaming to start. I'm hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment