Thursday, October 11, 2018

The Predator (2018) Review (Spoilers)

Fatality
 
 
Here's a quick review of the latest Predator movie. The series has run the gamut from good to bad, serious to cheesy, in the jungle to the concrete jungle, and from Schwarzenegger to Glover. How does this one stack up? 

Pretty well, if you ask me. Granted, it's not as suspenseful as the original, it is funnier and way more violent than the original. And no, it's not a remake. Thankfully. And before you ask, I do consider this suitable for a Halloween/October review. If you think about it, Predators are just slasher movie villains from space. Not really scary, but very violent. 

Without spoiling anything, I will say that the film does tackle a few issues that you normally wouldn't think of when watching a movie like this, and it introduces a few ideas that are certainly welcomed, at least by me. 

In the film, one of the protagonists is an autistic child. I've seen autistic people portrayed in many different ways, from spastic, socially awkward nerds (Like in one of my most hated television shows of all time, The Big Bang Theory) to human supercomputers (Like in Rain Man). The Predator lands somewhere near the latter, with the kid being incredibly smart, and that actually plays a huge part in the movie. 
 
Thomas Jane and Keegan-Michael Key are in the movie, and after seeing Thomas Jane play the Punisher, it was exciting to see him. Luckily, the two don't spend two minutes in the movie just for marquee value, like Bryan Cranston in Godzilla (2014). 

SPOILER ALERT


The reason why the Predator species take human spines and skulls as trophies is for DNA and spinal fluid. In some sort of eugenics program, Predators are taking DNA from the Earth's greatest subjects, and genetically splicing themselves with it to create stronger and smarter hunters. 

This ends up with the humans fighting a "Super Predator" and having an epic fight. Truly, humans have never fought something this badass in the entire Predator series. 

END OF SPOILERS


This one has a lot of action and humor, certainly more than the others. In fact, if you ask me, the film sometimes feels like it focuses too much on the action scenes and humor. Whenever the dialogue dragged on, when there wasn't a Predator or people dying on screen, it just made me wish for more Predator action. 

Not to say there isn't a complex story going on, though. There are elements of man vs society, man vs beast and even man vs self.

I won't ruin any of the jokes, but I can't call the jokes clever. They're more like jokes you'd find in an adult comedy starting Seth Rogen. However, some jokes and callbacks to the original fall flat, and feel forced. "Get to the choppers" was an especially dumb one. 

Oh, and at the end, it sets itself up for a sequel so hard, it kinda hurts. It's so stupid, but I guess it's also kinda cool what's revealed at the end.

My only other complaint with the movie is the title. Did "Predator: Evolution" get shot down? That would've been a way better title! The Predator makes it sound like a remake of the original, which I think may hurt it in the long run. 

Overall, this was a very enjoyable movie that I'd certainly see again. To get the most enjoyment out of this movie, see it with friends. I give it a 7.5/10. 

Final Thought: I wanted to laugh at the idea of an autistic Predator, but against all odds, I didn't think about it too much. I'm also a little bit of a liar.

No comments:

Post a Comment