Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Avenger - TV Movie Review

Turner Network Television - 2006

Even without a cowboy hat, Sam Elliott is more of a man than you'll ever be.

A badass played by Sam Elliot is sent on a mission of revenge and truth.

That's the perfect formula for a nice little TV movie. After seeing some quick reviews online, I thought this would be a kinda okay movie, but it is not, which is disappointing. If you ask me, if a movie isn't interesting, it isn't worth your time, and for a 90 minute TV movie, it doesn't get interesting until the hour mark. That's a bad sign.

Up until the hour mark, it's just Sam Elliott walking around getting information about some guy's son who was murdered for reasons. That's how much this movie gripped me, I can't even remember character names and motives that well. 

With Toxic Avenger and Crippled Avengers, I had things to talk about. For an action thriller, Avenger is boring for more than half of the movie. Want to know when you can have a bathroom break when watching this movie? There's a good chunk of it you can skip, I promise you. 

By the time Sam Elliott gets to South Africa to stop some nuclear plot or whatever, you won't care, because the payoff isn't even that good. This movie has many elements that make a movie great, like acting, dialogue and even effects, but with a weak story, it all falls apart. Not spectacularly, not with a flop, but with a yawn.

The movie does have some genuinely good moments, but it didn't really grip my attention. If you're a Sam Elliott fan, this may be a little disappointing. I understand this is a TV movie, but I can't imagine this gripping my attention on a lazy Saturday on FX, like the fifty Fast and Furious movies. Then again, this didn't air on FX, so you're safe if you watch FX a lot.

My final verdict: 4.5/10

And don't worry, you won't have to wait long until I actually review The Avengers. I did these to hook people in. (All 4 of you who read this)

And you won't even have to wait long for my review of The Avengers

No comments:

Post a Comment